Barcelona are eyeing a move for Chelsea defender, Antonio Rudiger to help keep things at the Catalan backline solid following long-term Gerard Pique injury
The Catalonians are looking for a quick winter swoop to deputize sidelined Pique after the 33-year-old suffered a grade three knee ligament sprain and an injury to the anterior cruciate ligament against Atletico Madrid at the end of November.
As this could rule him out until April, Barcelona find themselves in a messy situation with limited available choices this transfer window, a move for Rudiger serves cost-effective and timely with the German still unsettled this season at Stamford Bridge.
The coveted arrival of Thiago Silva to the Chelsea backline has seen Rudiger fall short in the pecking order, with Chelsea boss, Frank Lampard opting for Kurt Zouma in partnership with Silva ahead of Rudiger, leaving the 27-year-old to just one appearance this term in the premier league.
With regular first-team action looking doubtful for the German defender at Chelsea, a move to Barcelona may not be far fetched given the current void occasioned by Pique injury in the Catalan defence, with the Spaniard ruled out for almost the remainder of the season.
Spanish media outlet Mundo Deportivo have however reported that although Barca boss, Ronald Koeman might still be showing preference for a new attacker, the Chelsea defender is still behind Manchester City’s Eric Garcia in Barca pursuit, despite being offered Rudiger in the past.
Manchester City have stood firm over the future of Garcia, despite his refusal to sign a new contract, and he will now be able to leave for free in the summer.
Upon returning to Blues lineup for Newcastle clash at St James’ Park weeks ago, Rudiger disclosed his ‘satisfaction to how things have developed in the past weeks’
“I’m satisfied with how the situation has developed in the past weeks.
“Now I see myself as a permanent part of the team.
“I had a tough time, so I also checked other transfer options but I received positive signals from the coaching team.” he said.
- See Also: Martinelli, Thomas Partey, David Luiz And Others: Latest Arsenal Injury News With Possible Return Dates
- Chelsea Morning News: Tomori linked with January exit as Giroud remains keen to leave
- Trouble Looms For United As Six First Team Players Set To Miss PSG Clash
- Aubameyang advised to leave Arsenal to save career
- Chelsea Evening News: Olivier Giroud nears exit with new Blues decision, Alaba hands Chelsea transfer boost
- Manchester United In A Bid To beat Arsenal For £60-Rated Villarreal Star Man In Smart Swap Deal
- Watch Video: SOU 2:3 MUN as the Red Devils comes from behind to steal late winner
- Watch Video: Neto puts Wolves ahead of Arsenal
- Watch Video: Gabriel Magalhaes pulls Arsenal back with a fine header
- Watch Video: Podence restores Wolverhampton lead with a fine finish
- CHE vs TOT: Possible Line-up and Prediction as Chelsea take on Spurs
- SOU vs MUN: Possible Line-up and Prediction as Man United set to battle Saints