The most prestigeous football award, Ballon d’Or cancelled due to Corona virus pandemic effects.
The Ballon d’Or won’t be awarded this year, 2020 due to the damages caused by the Corona Virus outbreak which caused many leagues across the World to be paused.
As confirmed by L’Equipe; the group Organizing the award, the decision was taken as it appears to be the best direction in such a dull year considering that decisions won’t be easy to make if they should decide to go ahead with the awarding.
The group stakeholders were as well consulted before the conclusion of that the whole conditions to determine the winner can’t be met by this year.
Although leagues have resumed in Germany, England, Spain and Italy, the body proceeded in determining that dashing out the year will be the fairest decision as Lionel Messi retains the honor as present Champion.
This would also mean Lionel Messi having a history of being the only Ballon d’Or who retained the award for the next year without any competition nor judgement.
Below are further official released reasons for the cancellation of the award.
• Because such a unique year cannot – and should not – be treated as an ordinary year. When in doubt, it is better to abstain than to persist.
• Because the Ballon d’Or trophy conveys values - such as exemplarity, solidarity and responsibility – other than sporting excellence alone.
• Because the equity which prevails for this honorary title could not be preserved, in particular at the statistical level and also of the preparation since all the aspirants to the reward could not be accommodated in the same boat, some having seen their season cut off radically , others don’t. So how can we compare the incomparable?
• Because we did not want to affix an indelible asterisk of style to the prize list”Trophy won in exceptional circumstances due to the Covid-19 health crisis” . We will always prefer a small sprain (to our history) to a large scar. This is the first time since 1956 that the Ballon d’Or has taken a break. The parenthesis does not enchant us but seems to us the most responsible and logical. Protecting the credibility and legitimacy of such an award also means ensuring its flawlessness over time.
• Because only two months (January and February), out of the eleven generally required to form an opinion and decide between the best (s), it is far too little to gauge and judge, given that the other matches have taken place. then – or will take place – then in other conditions and formats (in camera, five replacements, European Final 8 in a single match) too far from the usual panorama. We cannot bring ourselves to rely on crippled seasons, with so many special arrangements, to elect the best. The best of what, by the way? It would not be worthy of our history.
• Because of our approximately 220 jurors (men and women combined) spread around the world, some may have been distracted or diverted from their observation mission due to other priorities and emergencies to manage.
• Because the BO story is too precious to take the risk of damaging it with a wobbly exercise. In these hectic times, taking a break is a luxury as well as an inestimable necessity. So that football, as a whole, regains momentum and momentum, passion and emotion. Can’t wait for the golden ball …L’Équipe
- See Also: After 30 years, History repeats it’s self. Liverpool wins premier league, Leeds wins Championship.
- Ole Solskjaer admits wrong Man United selection against Chelsea
- FA Cup: Chelsea bamboozle Man United out of FA Cup
- Man United to hand Mason Greenwood a staggering contract
- La Liga to resume on June with 10 subs per game – Javier Aguirre