EPL set to take over the WSL after offering £1m pandemic aid

EPL set to take over the WSL after offering £1m pandemic aid

The English Premier League has offered WSL £1m to help empower the 2020-21 season to begin, CEO Richard Experts has told MPs.

The English Premier League handing £1m to the WSL would help spread Coronavirus testing costs at the top finish of the game.

Experts additionally told the Department of Culture, Media and Sport select committee he might want the EPL to assume control over the running of the Ladies’ Super League.

In any case, he said “now isn’t the right time”.

The 2019-20 Ladies’ Super League and Champions seasons, ended in Spring, were finished officially on 25 May due to the Coronavirus pandemic, with Chelsea announced WSL champions on a focuses per-game premise.

For wellbeing and security reasons, testing players for coronavirus is vital to getting the WSL and the Championship ready for action once more.

No additional subsidizing for Coronavirus testing was accessible to permit those rivalries to broaden and finish the 2019-20 crusade.

The Football Association’s director of the women’s professional game, Kelly Simmons has expressed gratitude toward the Premier League for giving urgent financing “that will allow us to align with their testing protocols when we come back for the 2020/2021 season” despite the fact that she didn’t affirm when the new season will begin.

She said: “It is well documented that the football industry is going through a difficult period with the Covid-19 pandemic, and The FA has been transparent with our own challenges.

Embed from Getty Images

“Player safety is our number one priority. Every time a player steps onto the field, we want them to feel that they are in a safe environment, and we will continue to work with government, clubs and football stakeholders to ensure that happens.”

The Masters had earlier told MPs: “What we’ve been able to do about the women’s game is to help them to the tune of around £1m to help get their testing programme up and running.

“We’ve recently made that funding gesture to them and I believe on that basis they are able to start their 2021 season.”

The Football Affiliation runs the ladies’ down in Britain however Bosses said there have been conversations about the EPL dominating.

He said: “Over the past year, we’ve had lots of dialogue with the FA and our own clubs about the Premier League, at some point in the future, assuming responsibility for the professional game.

Embed from Getty Images

“We decided collectively, that’s the FA and the Premier League and the WSL and Women’s Championship boards, that now isn’t the right time but we will return to that topic at some point in the near future.”

The FA announced on Monday it was making extensive cuts to cover losses of about £300m caused by the pandemic.

“We want the women’s game to be successful, which is why we are helping them and why we’ve engaged in those discussions with the FA about resuming responsibility for it,” Masters added.

“From a personal perspective, it is something I would like to do in the future for this organisation – being not just responsible for top of the pyramid in terms of the men’s game but also the women’s game.

“Those two things would work hand in hand very well, and would inspire a generation of young female footballers to get involved in the game.”

1 Trackback / Pingback

  1. Callum Hudson Odoi returns to fitness as tweet confirms - Football news and updates | Somtosports

Leave a Reply