In reaction to the successful Brexit deal just completed by Britain and Europe, the RFEF alongside, LaLiga and AFE have reached an agreement that would affect British players
The Brexit negotiation which began on the 31st of January, 2020, has successfully been completed with Britain now no more a part of the European Union.
As expected, this would have a significant effect on the members of this countries, especially Britain who just broke out of the Union.
The first move has already been made as Spanish Football Authorities reached an agreement that would affect British players staring in their leagues.
According to the new law enacted after the Brexit, British players who register from now onwards will be occupied as non-EU players.
This law doesn’t affect the Welsh man yet as he joined Spurs during the previous year but would should he extend his contract with Los Blancos before the expiration date of the current.
Below is an statement released by Iusport on the law.
1. Footballers with nationality of the United Kingdom who are registered as of January 1, 2021 will be considered for the purposes of registration, maximum allowed quotas and possibility of alignment, as “extra-community”.
2. On a temporary basis, the status of “community” with which the 2020-2021 Season began will be maintained for all those footballers with nationality of the United Kingdom who, as of December 31, 2020 , have signed a contract and issued a valid license. with a club assigned to professional categories, for the purposes of the maximum number of registrations allowed and the possibility of line-up in meetings of these categories, until the end of the 2020-2021 Season. This transience will also be applicable to footballers registered in dependent teams or in teams of affiliated clubs of the previous ones.
3. The parties agree, finally, to submit the agreement reached between the three institutions to the Higher Sports Council in order for this body to show its conformity with the current and applicable national legislation for that purpose and, so that , where appropriate, may extend its effects until the current expiration date of the contracts of the affected players, but without the possibility of extension due to extensions or extensions thereof.
- See Also: Edinson Cavani finally breaks silence after FA Sanction
- Juventus officially break silence on Ozil as Fenerbahçe seal free transfer for Arsenal man
- Chelsea ambush Man United transfer target as they set to cash in on 20-year-old Maestro