Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has provided update on injury to Ghanian midfielder Thomas Partey ahead of Rapid Vienna clash tomorrow at the Emirates Stadium.
The 27-year-old has been sidelined out of action since hurting his thigh in Arsenal’s disgraceful home loss to Aston Villa in November, despite earlier projection of a swift return.
The midfielder will undergo another scan this week as he races against time to be fit for Sunday’s north London derby.
Speaking to the press earlier today, Arteta disclosed some good news, suggesting the former Athletico man may be nearing a return to the pitch early enough for Gunners North London derby against Tottenham this weekend.
“He has been training separately in the last week or so,” said Arteta.
“At the same time, we have to protect and make sure that when he gets back in the team he is ready to do that and whatever extent of minutes we can use him.
On Partey potentially facing Tottenham, Arteta added: “We don’t know.
“We need to scan him again to see the extent of the injury and how it has healed. I know if it is, Thomas wants to play tomorrow! Then we have to see medically that he is safe to participate this week at all.”
Arteta also revealed that David Luiz could feature against Spurs, despite the head injury he sustained during last weekend’s defeat by Wolves.
Luiz was involved in a bloody collision with Wolves striker Raul Jimenez, with the Mexican rushed to the hospital immediately, following a concussion suffered as a result of the collision.
I think he will be fit to play if the scar is healing properly,” said the Gunners boss. “If he is comfortable heading the ball, then there shouldn’t be any problems.”
- See Also: Antonio Rudiger ‘Afforded To Barcelona’ Despite Commitment To Chelsea
- Manchester United Enter Race To Land Highly-Rated Brighton Star Man
- SEV Vs CHE: Possible Lineup For The Blues As They Make Sevilla Trip With Top Position In Sight
- Four Things Spotted At Chelsea Training This Morning Ahead Of Sevilla Clash
- MUN vs PSG: Possible Lineup as Cavani starts
- Martinelli, Thomas Partey, David Luiz And Others: Latest Arsenal Injury News With Possible Return Dates
- Chelsea Morning News: Tomori linked with January exit as Giroud remains keen to leave
- Trouble Looms For United As Six First Team Players Set To Miss PSG Clash
- Aubameyang advised to leave Arsenal to save career
- Chelsea Evening News: Olivier Giroud nears exit with new Blues decision, Alaba hands Chelsea transfer boost
- Manchester United In A Bid To beat Arsenal For £60-Rated Villarreal Star Man In Smart Swap Deal
- Watch Video: SOU 2:3 MUN as the Red Devils comes from behind to steal late winner