- A goal for Werner against Newcastle will see him tie Didier Drogba’s goal-scoring record
- The 24-year-old first scored for Chelsea against Tottenham in the EFL cup
- He currently has eight goals to his credit as a Chelsea player
Timo Werner is on course to score in a fifth consecutive match for the Blues at St James’ Park today, a feat achieved eleven years ago by Chelsea’s iconic goal-scorer, Didier Drogba.
The 24-year-old endured a short drought since joining from RB Leipzig that saw him find the back of the net for the first time against Tottenham Hotspur in the EFL cup.
He however wasted no further time, quickly adding a brace to his goal tally against Southampton in the Blues’ disappointing 3-3 draw at Stamford Bridge against the Saints.
The German striker now finds himself one goal shy of Didier Drogba’s 11-year-old record having registered his name on the score sheet in 4 consecutive matches for the Blues.
Indeed its been 11 years since any Chelsea player found the back of the net in 5 consecutives games, despite the undeniable talents radiated by the West London club over the years.
The former RB Leipzig man has seen his goal-scoring prospects increase further since taking over penalty duties from Jorginho and is yet to miss any so far taken for the Blues.
The £47 million striker first scored a 76th minute penalty against Russian side Krasnodar in the UEFA Champions League before scoring in Chelsea’s 3-0 trashing of Burnley at Turf Moor, the Blues forward then converted two first half penalties against Rennes before scoring Chelsea’s last goal in the 4-1 mauling of Sheffield at the Stamford Bridge, and is now very much on course to be Chelsea’s first player to score in five consecutive matches since Didier Drogba in November 2009.
Werner already has eight goals to his credit as a Chelsea player and is greatly tipped to become a fierce goal-scoring machine for the Blues given his amazing goal record for RB Leipzig which propelled his move to Stamford Bridge.
- See Also: Chelsea Handed Major Injury Boost Ahead of Newcastle Clash
- Revealed: The Blues Likely Line-Up Against Newcastle
- Good News as Six Premier Managers Change Their Mind On Five Subs
- $1B Nigerian declares intention to bag huge shares in Arsenal as he aims to fuse in Enyimba FC to the limelight
- Chelsea Morning News and injury updates on Pulisic, Kai Havertz and more